Reeko realizes that this site gets much of its traffic from kids. With that
in mind, it's only fair that we discuss Net safety (sorry, but Reeko is
a parent and has to get just one lecture in before you go).
Reeko gets tons of email everyday from kids - and that's great! He tries to
respond to each and every one of them. But kids should be aware that it's
often wise to ask Mom and Dad for permission before sending email to a stranger.
It's just common courtesy to ask Mom and Dad about this. Besides, they'll
get a kick out of how responsible their little one is for being aware of
online Internet dangers...
Here's the rules you should follow:
- Never give your home phone number to anyone over the Internet. Believe me,
Reeko knows - geeks don't like to talk on the phone...
- Never give your home address to anyone over the Internet (this doesn't apply to
kids that live in Antartica).
- If you give out your email address online, be sure to notify your parents immediately
if you begin receiving any kind of harassment from that person or if they send you
anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.
- Always look both ways before crossing the street.
Now here's the rules Reeko follows:
- Reeko never discloses email addresses to anyone outside of the lab (not
counting his cat who often looks over his shoulder while he's working).
- Reeko does not post full names on any of the contest or feedback pages. Your
name will be listed as first initial, last name or first name only. If you
even feel remotely uncomfortable about this then make up a name!
- Reeko always eats all of his vegetables, even broccoli.
Follow these guidelines and everything will be just fine. Remember, it may
help to think of any kind of communication on the Internet as if you were talking
to someone over the phone. There's a real, live person sitting on the other
side of that computer - and he may not be such a nice guy...
END OF LECTURE - YOU ARE DISMISSED...