Everyone knows recycling is good for our environment but do you know how the recycling process is actually done? In this experiment, we’ll recycle a newspaper into nice, neat little sheets of fresh paper.
- Gather up several sheets of old newspaper. If you’re having trouble finding suitable newspaper, check Dad’s bathroom (leave the sports pages and he’ll never notice it is missing).
- Take the newspaper and tear it into little pieces.
- Place the pieces of paper in a blender.
- Add hot water and let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes.
- Turn on the blender and blend the paper mixture up real well.
- Bend the coat hanger to form a somewhat round loop.
- Cover the hanger loop with an old nylon stocking. This will be our ‘screen’.
- Place the ‘screen’ over the mixing bowl and pour the liquid mixture onto the screen.
- Let this sit for a while until all of the liquid has finished draining into the bowl.
- Now place the ‘screen’ between two sheets of paper towels.
- Take this paper towel sandwich and place it on the cutting board.
- Iron out the paper towels. Get Mom or Dad to help with this step.
- Remove the paper towels and peel the paper off of the screen.
Voila! You now have recycled paper.
As to what to do with your newly created paper…. Hmmmmm…. How about taking Dad’s paper out of the bathroom and leaving your newly created paper in its place. When Dad notices and brings it up, explain to him that there must be some pretty strong ‘chemical reactions’ occurring in his bathroom to have done that to his newspaper….
Your curiosity is being rewarded (twice if you are paying attention).